Monday, October 19, 2015

Slave labor?

No, but it is represented as such.  "These laborers, who must sell themselves piecemeal, are a commodity," it reads.  I do agree that they can be viewed as a commodity, which is unfortunate, but without such, their lives wouldn't improve, for they are the means by which they do improve.  I don't understand how working people, offering skills in return for wages in an advancing world, can be described as selling themselves.  When phrased this way, it appears that these people are being forced into working to survive, when people have been working since the genesis of humanity.  Only the nature of the work has changed.  This piece of writing seems to desire a return to an antiquated style of life, where the world was before it was industrialized.

Daniel's

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Marx seems to wish to return to the previous world, and I mirror your sentiments that it is unfortunate that people are often just seen as utilities. I do think that the mentality Marx's system leans towards is that of entitlement. My question for Marx is why should workers in the workforce be seen as anything other than their product? Why is it that we deserve or require anything else? I have my own opinions on the subject, but without knowing Marx's opinion, I don't see why his system that seems to contradict the natural order of work for pay should be adopted.

    ReplyDelete