Monday, April 25, 2016

The Language

"Gunpowder and stores were shipped to St. Eustatius
from these innocent, moonlit harbors, in support
of French aid to the colonies; with slow paces,

the sea-chest, he walked the edge of the port
as the moonlight amazed him, its milk-white brilliance
pouring from dark pewter clouds..."

This is only an excerpt and a small example of what we've all been experiencing in reading this work. The language, while slightly confusing at times, is so poetic yet at the same time continuing the telling of a story.

As I read I feel like the story is happening to me. I don't necessarily feel like I am on the outside looking in and analyzing a narrative, I feel like I am experiencing it with the speaker. The phrasing and changing of voices provides this affect.

P.S. Commented on Ray's.

No comments:

Post a Comment